In the past few years, there have been many questions about whether or not bleach kills fleas. Some people believe it doesn’t, and others think it does. There are even some people who say they don’t know if it kills them at all. So what’s the truth? Is bleach safe to use on your pet, and do you need to worry about using it on him/her? Let’s take a look!
What is Bleach?
Bleach is a chemical that reacts with water to produce hydrogen peroxide. It works by reacting with bacteria and other microorganisms living in the environment to kill them. The reaction occurs when the bacteria or microbes come into contact with chlorine gas, which causes their cells to burst and release oxygen as well as killing them instantly. If you’ve ever had a cold, you’re probably familiar with this process because it’s exactly what happens in those cases.
The main difference between the two chemicals is that chlorine gas is poisonous while bleach isn’t. Chlorine gas is dangerous to breathe and can cause death from suffocation. However, bleach won’t harm your pets unless they ingest it directly (which would be extremely unlikely). Also, bleach has a much shorter shelf life than chlorine gas, so it shouldn’t be used on animals for long periods.
Does the Bleach Kill Fleas?
And the answer to this particular question is yes. The bleach can eliminate fleas that is unsurprising. It is also pretty efficient against flea larvae and the eggs of theirs.
The problem with this? You will have to make use of the bleach in every corner in the house where the flea might have laid eggs to eliminate the infestation completely, so it is quite a huge job.
Furthermore, keep in mind that the bleach is poisonous, so it can be risky to make use of in your home around small children and pets. When you can spray something in your home with the bleach to exterminate the fleas, make sure to seal it off afterward.
How Does Bleach Kill Fleas?
The main reason why people are concerned about using bleach on pets is its potential to harm humans. When used improperly, bleach can cause skin burns, severe irritation, and even death. It’s also very flammable, so it could set off a fire. Even though it may seem like it would be great to clean up spills or remove stains from carpets, the chemicals that go into making bleach aren’t always pure and safe.
Bleach works by disrupting the link between a flea’s nervous system and its blood supply. When a flea ingests the chemical, it reacts with the hapless insect’s enzymes, making them poisonous to their host and eventually causing it to die. It’s important to note that bleach will not kill your pet’s natural fleas or any other pest that your pet may come in contact with.
Related: How to Get Rid of Fleas Naturally
Why Shouldn’t I Use Bleach on My Dog?
Sometimes they’re even dangerous on their own!
When bleach is put on animals, their skin’s cell membranes to the point where they can’t shed the outer layers of the skin. By doing this, it causes irritation, and the animal begins to lesion and blister. This can happen very quickly, or it may take several days, depending on the size and health of the animal.
There are a few instances in which it would be better not to use bleach on your dog. If the animal is severely bleeding, the wound needs to be cauterized to prevent possible infection. If the wound is small and doesn’t need cauterization, then disinfecting it with bleach would cross-contaminate the area and could cause harm.
The effect that bleach has on the blood can be almost as bad as a cut from glass. If your pet comes into contact with bleach, it could create an open cut that lets their blood leak into the skin, and death is a very likely outcome. Finally, if the animal has an underlying condition such as liver or kidney disease or a skin condition such as eczema, now would not be the best time to expose the condition to bleach. Instead, consult a veterinarian before deciding on a course of action.
Why Should I Use Bleach on My Dog? Can’t I Just Get Rid of the Fleas With a Flea Shampoo?
The first reason is that you can see the effect it has on the skin. The white vinegar soaks up the moisture that causes your dog’s itch and alleviates it immediately. The other reason is that it’s safe to use on your dog, and you can try to find out if it works or not.
Does White Vinegar Really Work?
The short answer is yes, but it may take some time before you notice a difference. There are several products on the market right now that claim to get rid of your dog’s fleas and ticks. These shampoos spray and drop not only work to kill adult fleas and ticks on the animal and their eggs on your dog but also kill the baby fleas and ticks.