When you want to go for a family vacation or a stroll, you would require to figure more about what to do with the dreadful sand fleas. Taking care of your spouse, pets, and kids is a huge responsibility, and you don’t want them to get attacked by sand fleas. There is no fun in that.
You need to protect your pet’s and kid’s skin from sand fleas without using artificial toxic repellents.
You can make natural flea repellents with essential oils. Most essential oils such as peppermint, tea tree, lavender, Melrose, and citronella. You can mix these essential oils together and make a spray from it. It will not only repel the sand fleas but will also leave a good fragrance on your skin and nurture your skin. The homemade repellent makes the sand fleas nauseated and repel them. All these essential oils are tested, and they keep the sand fleas away for good.
What are the Benefits of Using a Sand Flea Repellent?
Sometimes, there are many sand flea bites because the sand fleas are commonly found in clusters. The sand flea bites not only cause debilitating skin infections but also put you at risk for a variety of illnesses. A blood meal is needed for the female sand flea to lay their eggs. When they bite you, they can inject saliva, including pathogenic organisms. Sand fleas are most likely to target those with the lighter skin tones. While the treatment of the flea bites is available, it is a good way to use a reliable sand flea repellent against this harmful pest.
Also Read: How to Get Rid of Sand Fleas
How to make homemade sand flea repellents
- Take one drop of Castile liquid soap, 5-6 drops of citronella, and water. Mix all these and put them in a spray bottle. Shake it well, and it’s done. You can spritz it over the skin and stay sand flea-free. This is the only way to dilute the essential oil. If you don’t have citronella, you can use other essential oils as well.
- Use Boric Acid – Buy boric acid from your local convenience store, put it in a sprinkler, and sprinkle it around the area where you’re going to sit to get rid of the sand fleas. You can also sprinkle boric acid around your home, the lawn area, etc. Boric acid is also known as hydrogen borate. This hydrogen borate gives stomach poison to the sand fleas, causing them to die. Be very careful while this product, and make sure you wear a mask and sprinkle it around. Do not go into the area for the next few minutes.
- Nematodes – Nematodes are useful in combating sand fleas. Nematodes do not affect the kids, the pets, or the plants. Nematodes feed on the tissues of sand fleas, and they emit deadly bacteria with them. Read the packaging label for its proper dosage and use. Spray the nematodes in the area which is filled with sand fleas.
- Vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is a great repellent for sand fleas. This is a powerful and potent acidic household ingredient. Just mix the apple cider vinegar with warm water and spray on the skin or the area where sand fleas are in abundance. It is safe to use on pets and kids. The scent is not too wearable; you can also add lemon juice to give it a citrus flare.
- Consume Garlic – Garlic has certain qualities in it. One of the qualities is its scent. When you consume, the same scent is released from your body which repels insects, including sand fleas. It is not a popular method. However, you can add it with the essential oils and make it effective.
DIY Sand Flea Spray Repellent Recipe
Because you make your repellent, you need to prepare a 500ml spray bottle.
- Pour 250ml of Witch Hazel.
- Add one tablespoon of calendula oil.
- One drop of cinnamon
- One drop of clove
- One drop cedarwood
- Two drops of cajeput
- Three drops of peppermint oil
- Three drops of eucalyptus
- Four drops of tea tree oil
- Five drops of citronella
- Lastly, pour the coconut oil in the rest.
You need to keep your skin protected when you make this sand flea spray. It can repel sand fleas and other bugs, such as flies, roaches, mosquitoes, and so on.