Mice are very cunning, so much so that they are capable of climbing any surface. They can climb walls, climb stairs, walk over cables, fences, swim through sewer water, etc. But the most uncomfortable moment of all is when you realize that one of these rodents is inside your home.
These rodents can adapt to any environment in a very easy way. They turn out to be very skilled when looking for food, water, shelter, and heat. If your home has all these elements, the rats will surely feel comfortable in your home space.
During the winter and summer seasons, rats need to be safe, and that is when they seek the warmth of home the most. Rodents are so cunning that they are trained to find whatever means are necessary to get into your home without you realizing it.
Therefore, you must take some measures that can be of great help to keep rats away from your home. For rat elimination experts, rat agility turns out to be admirable. However, they will never be worthy for you, and you will seek all the necessary measures to say goodbye.
While the rats are younger, they have more cunning to enter through holes of tiny dimensions. To give you an idea, young rats can enter a hole up to 6mm in size. Therefore, if you want to eliminate rats from your home, you must cover all the gaps in the spaces regardless of their size.
What Are Rats?
Rats are known as mammalian animals that can grow up to 30 cm. Their weight can be up to 300 grams, and having the incisors so long they must gnaw on hard objects. The rat’s tail is very long, and another of its most relevant characteristics is its gray body.
Rats have very fast adaptability and can fertilize anywhere, so they are scattered throughout the world. In many places, rats are considered a pest, as they can transmit various types of diseases. Also, they are capable of destroying multiple extensions of crops.
When rats are in the city, they feed on the food that people tend to throw away. While if they are in a rural area, they will eat vegetables and small birds. But rats are so strange; they are even able to eat each other.
Perhaps, you have rats in your home, and trying to eliminate them has made it very difficult for you to catch them.
Apart from gray rats, there are also black rats, and they are one of the most agile species of rodents. This agility allows rats to enter your home from anywhere:
They can enter through the holes in the cellars.
- On damaged roofs or floors
- By the pipes
- Through the ventilation ducts
When rats are found in the wild, they can live from one year to 18 months. So you must take preventive measures so that they cannot enter your home. And if they are already in your home, you must take the correct provisions to eliminate them without using poison.
Read More: How to Get Rid of Ground Squirrels
How To Get Rid Of Rats Without Poison?
If there are rats in your home, you are probably worried at the moment, and that is why it is important to follow the experts’ advice. You do not need to use poison to scare away rats from your home. Try these provisions to eliminate rats from your home without the use of poison:
- Close the garbage bags very well
- Get used to taking out the garbage daily.
- Perform a deep cleaning in all the spaces of your home
- For cleaning your home use bleach or bleach
- Keep food very well
- Use airtight containers to store food.
- Keep your kitchen clean with no scattered waste.
- If you have a pet, clean your area with vinegar and lemon regularly.
- Use gloves and masks when cleaning your home to avoid having direct contact with any residue.
If you have a pet, experts recommend that you do not use chlorine for cleaning, as it can be very toxic to them. You must keep your home tidy, so you should dispose of old boxes and items that have been stored for a long time.
When you have children, you should continuously clean all the spaces in your home to prevent them from contacting feces or other residues that the rats may have left. If you have rats in your home, you should do several cleanings in a row to drive them away. And if you prefer, you can also seek experts’ help to accomplish the task of elimination quickly.
Some home remedies can also be beneficial for the total elimination of rats:
- Detergent and hot sauce
- Clove and pepper
How To Prevent A Rat Infestation?
If you don’t do frequent cleaning in your home, it will gradually create a perfect space for rats. Rats are scary, but they are also carriers of many diseases that can harm their health. It is important that you keep your home clean and do not neglect any holes in your space.
- You should prevent a rat infestation in your home:
- Check the areas with time without cleaning: Surely, you clean the most common spaces in your home. You should not forget those areas where a lot of dust accumulates since rats could take refuge without realizing it.
- Check the holes: You will notice rats inside your home if you start to see hair or feces. Therefore, you must check the air ducts and if there is a hole to eliminate it quickly.
- Do not sweep: If you notice rats in your home, you should not sweep since it can spread all the residue that the rats are leaving. You should clean your floor with home remedies that can scare away rats.
- Do not leave food scraps wrong: Rats will take advantage of any food residue that you leave wrong to feed. Therefore, you should eat in the dining room, and once you have finished removing all the dishes. If any crumb remains in the dining room for your good, remove it.
Cleaning in your home and disinfecting all spaces will be of great help so that apart from rats, you can avoid other elements such as bacteria or other pests. With expert advice, it will be possible for rats to stay away from home.